Monday, November 09, 2009

Barrett Baptism

















This past Sunday (November 1, 2009), our family celebrated the sacrament of infant baptism or "covenant baptism". When we first started attending Covcom, I had not encountered the theology behind infant baptism. I have to admit, I was a little shocked to learn they baptized infants. Believer's baptism meant so much to me when I became a Christian in college and something I was taught and believed.

Our pastor took lots of time to explain it to Tim as the sign of the covenant for New Testament believers (from circumcision in the Old Testament). We felt no pressure to decide and we took time to read, study, and pray about the decision. This article was also a blessing in helping it all come together for me, a few key points ...

We disciple covenant children on the presumption that they are children of God and are to be baptized and taught all things whatsoever Christ has commanded. We do not presume that they are children of the darkness; that would cut across everything that the covenant promise represents.

Baptism is a sign and seal with great biblical and theological implications. And just as we did not establish the covenant, neither did we determine the sign of the covenant. Those were God’s gracious and loving acts. God is the signifier and signified in baptism whether it be for a covenant child or a covenant adult. I like to remind the people during a covenant baptismal service, especially of an infant, that this event marks the beginning of teaching this precious covenant child who he or she is in Christ and what this sign of baptism signifies. It is not merely a ritual. Certainly it contains mystery but God reveals his truth to us in order that we might understand and obey him. When we participate in baptism, by faith we will see the very hand of God working through his promises to us and to our children.

After seeing the truth in it, I have to say, I LOVE the idea of a covenantal blessing on my children.

The ceremony itself was brief and beautiful. Our pastor prayed that Jared & Will would never know a day where they didn't walk with Jesus. (I could cry just thinking about that). Our entire church stood and prayed and committed to us and our boys to help in raising them in covenant children. My parents and sister were also able to be there. What a blessing.

Lord, that Jared and Will would have the testimony of walking with the Lord as covenant children ... raised by the church and taught us, their parents.





















My family - including my sister, Kelly and mom and dad.


















Tim with our sweet friends, Kevin & Angie, who were able to come to the baptism and joined us for lunch afterwards at my parents' house.



















Aunt Kelly and the boys.



No comments: