Saturday, July 14, 2012
God's Word...
... Is living and real. And it shows us the condition of our own sinful hearts. This morning during our devotions we had our "Simon Son of Bar-Jonah" moment...
While we've been in San Diego I've been reading proverbs alongside Jared instead of reading them to him. It's been good practice for fading as well as wise instruction. Today, Will came and joined us. Tim and I have been trying to figure out how to get through to Will as he has not been very responsive to instruction. To be honest, we've been worried. Nothing seems to be getting through.
Proverbs is amazing for its contrasts between foolishness and wisdom and our prayer for our children is that they would be wise sons. Boys, especially, can be so enamored with foolishness. A friend and prayer partner had encouraged me to truly teach my boys the difference between a wise man and a fool. Good advice, right?
This morning while reading proverbs 14 we stopped to discuss prov 15:16 - "one who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless."
We gave real like examples like last nights excursion to the cliffs at La Jolla and asked the boys to tell us if it were reckless or cautious. Out of the blue Will said,
"sometimes I am that foolish man"
Tim and I both stopped in our tracks. I literally started to cry. It was a holy moment. Praise God for his word that shows us the true condition of our hearts and reveals true wisdom. Gods word and holy spirit revelation opened a teachable moment in an instant that Tim and I had been trying to manufacture for months. We had been so discouraged. I know it's not the end, but it was definitely a moment of the law doing its work and revealing sinful nature that I do not want to forget.
God is so good. He is so real. And he is so here. Thank goodness.
Matthew 16:15-17
English Standard Version (ESV)
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment