Oh, WOW. 16 months is an intense age. I'd forgotten as both the boys had transitioned into pre-school and school ages ...
Toddlers. Don't. Stop.
As long as they are awake, they are risking life and limb. (At least mine are). You can bet on it.
In the midst of the intense moments, I've taken to sending my cute husband little text message picture diaries of the Caleb's antics. For example ... below is an example of Caleb "playing" (i.e. racing from one life threatening scenario to another) on the play structure at the boys' school while Jared & Will were at the after school sports program. I've known for some time now that unless it holds the possibility of serious bodily harm, Caleb isn't interested. Today was no exception...
Then he decided to climb up a level and literally DOVE head first off this very tall slide. I barely made it in time to circumvent what would have surely been a head injury based on the speed of his descent. Here is he shortly right after that close call, trying to climb back UP the slide.
To put the speed at which this kids moves from one life threatening scenario to another in perspective, this all happened in a period of about 5 minutes, maybe less. As long as Caleb is awake, he is MOVING!
After an hour of play (and running from mommy), 20 minutes of "snack time" with his big brothers, twenty-five tantrum-y flops on the ground, one bloody lip, and a mortal fight against the stroller, we were off to the boys' 2nd sports activity (don't ask) and Caleb was D.O.N.E.
Mercifully, a new friend of mine and mom to one of Jared's good friends, kept an eye on the boys while they had their little league practice as I knew that if I could just give Caleb a few moments of quiet in the car. He would look like this ...
By the end of that long doctor's visit, we were all ready for a Valium and our beds. I'm praying that we can have some healthy boys, and some peace and quiet around here soon. This poor Lubby could use a break. (and me too!). I'm ready for my happy boy back. It's been so sad!
I seem to have lost my steam for house projects as the 2nd trimester (and ear aching kids) have arrived. We're on the road with these projects now, though, so I'm praying for some strength to finish!!
Toddlers. Don't. Stop.
As long as they are awake, they are risking life and limb. (At least mine are). You can bet on it.
In the midst of the intense moments, I've taken to sending my cute husband little text message picture diaries of the Caleb's antics. For example ... below is an example of Caleb "playing" (i.e. racing from one life threatening scenario to another) on the play structure at the boys' school while Jared & Will were at the after school sports program. I've known for some time now that unless it holds the possibility of serious bodily harm, Caleb isn't interested. Today was no exception...
Caleb first tried to figure out how to descend from the play structure in a most inappropriate (and dangerous manner)
... he tried stepping right off - as well as swinging with both his arms - but couldn't figure out how to get his feet over, so he moved on.
Then he decided to climb up a level and literally DOVE head first off this very tall slide. I barely made it in time to circumvent what would have surely been a head injury based on the speed of his descent. Here is he shortly right after that close call, trying to climb back UP the slide.
And then he climbed up again ...
Made it all the way to the top...
And threatened to jump out the (even taller) opening for the fireman pole. Some sweet elementary school girl tried to keep a grip on him.
Then he was down the slide again (mercifully feet first this time)...
... and then he started all over again.
After an hour of play (and running from mommy), 20 minutes of "snack time" with his big brothers, twenty-five tantrum-y flops on the ground, one bloody lip, and a mortal fight against the stroller, we were off to the boys' 2nd sports activity (don't ask) and Caleb was D.O.N.E.
Mercifully, a new friend of mine and mom to one of Jared's good friends, kept an eye on the boys while they had their little league practice as I knew that if I could just give Caleb a few moments of quiet in the car. He would look like this ...
Poor baby. He slept for almost 2 hours in the car.
And - he needed it. He's getting over a cold and yesterday we started antibiotics for a "raging" (doctor's words) ear infection. And, as if that wasn't reason enough for why he's been so crabby, tonight I noticed several new teeth coming through!
I'll leave you with this little run of pictures from yesterdays delightful trip to the pediatrician with all three boys. Turns out Will also had a double RAGING ear infection. Will's been complaining about it for a few days now and the Dr. confirmed it was just about as bad as it gets. She actually said, "don't be surprised if you see drainage". AAhhhhh!!!! Poor kid!
I also learned yesterday that tired, crabby, ear-aching one year olds REALLY don't like waiting for 45 minutes for the doctor to come see them... Go figure. How fun does this look?
By the end of that long doctor's visit, we were all ready for a Valium and our beds. I'm praying that we can have some healthy boys, and some peace and quiet around here soon. This poor Lubby could use a break. (and me too!). I'm ready for my happy boy back. It's been so sad!
I seem to have lost my steam for house projects as the 2nd trimester (and ear aching kids) have arrived. We're on the road with these projects now, though, so I'm praying for some strength to finish!!

No comments:
Post a Comment