Saturday, January 28, 2012

More Progress...

Its been another productive week over here at the Barretts...

On Wednesday, a sweet lady from our church who does this sort of thing came over to help me start laying out my walls and to help me get an overall plan for our great room with colors, etc.  She did some quick re-arranging of our entry ... moving the big picture she thought was too muted for the fireplace to over our entry table.  Love it!


And she did some minor adjustments in our front room to make the area more conversational ...


(funny, several people who walked in later asked where those chairs were before as if they'd never noticed them!  Ha ha!  And - don't mind the baby gate.  Some areas just HAVE to be off limits for my sanity...)

Our main project was getting going on some photo collages.  Since we've moved in I've had boxes and boxes of frames and decor that have been waiting to have a home.  I've been waiting for some furniture and a plan as I didn't want to just start hanging things willy nilly.  Mandi and I got going on this collage over the piano, Tim did some tweaking after he got home, and JJ came over on Thursday morning to help simplify and finalize the stuff on top of the piano.  Funny how much time goes into such a simple thing!


When Mandi moved the picture to the entry, she put our canvas family picture on the mantel in its place to hang after we painted the top of the mantel a blue she picked out for us.  JJ brought over a large canvas to wrap in fabric.  This yellow one will probably NOT be the final, but its fun for now...


Friday I visited lots of shops and picked up the paint to paint the top of the fireplace blue (wasting no time over here!)  The plan is to use this same paint to repaint our barstools a glossy blue for some more fun color  throughout the room AND her other suggestion is white painted brick on the bottom of the fireplace.  Tim and I are weighing that one with our desire for a more traditional looking mantel.  Any thoughts on that one friends? 


We're still on the hunt for some fabric chairs for a sitting area between our piano and computer armoire - AND for the perfect fabric for that canvas to tie it together ... Tim's going to build a white floating frame for the canvas to hang it with a more proportional size.  And - I think we've founds some great chairs at Pier One I hope to pick up today.


Now that I am unstuck on the big collage, I've been a picture hanging machine!  Its crazy how many frames I had just waiting for a home!  I still need to change out some of the old pics for newer ones in the old frames, hoping to get to that this week...



These frames below are for 12 years of school pictures that I KNOW I will lose over the next decade if they're not out.  I had the boys color pictures in the empty openings so that I could hang them now.  I think it will be cute to have their art on the wall in these little openings as the years go by and we fill in the spaces with more school pictures.  The picture on the left is a painting Jared did last year that his sweet teacher (thanks Mrs. Achterkirch!) matted and framed.  I need to get a few from Will to hang on the opposite wall.


Lubby's room also got some pictures up.  In his room, I am displaying all three boys' baby photos:

Since these were to be hung in groupings I had to measure just so, I started by laying out on blueprint paper cut to size to get the spacing right... What do they say?  Measure twice, cut once (or hammer once - same, same)


Here's their newborn pics ...


And their handprints and footprints ...


And the overall room.  The damask fabric is in for the duvet cover (love it!).  I still need to select more fabric for the pillows I'm going to add to make this twin bed more of a day bed...


 And ... while I work, the boys have been following me around, Caleb's tried to help hammer and climb, he's broken a few frames, and when Will is home - they PLAY!


 Would you believe I still have 4 FULL boxes of frames to hang?  There is still much to do but its so satisfying to make so much visible progress (on a very tiny budget no less!!).  This home is coming together. Yay!

2 comments:

Tracy Carson said...

Looks AWESOME!! Great job!!!

The Barrett Family said...

Thanks Tracy!!